Social media doesn’t need to be hard if you stay as authentic online as you are off, and concentrate on building a relationship with your fans and
People like to be with those they know, like, and trust. With that in mind, I thought I would share a few quotations from thought leaders around the world
and suggest how we can apply them to our online strategy.
They are not all well known for their digital acumen, but certainly are well known for either their business knowledge or thought-provoking ability. Enjoy.
1. “It’s not the strongest that survive, nor the most intelligent but those most responsive to change.” — Charles Darwin
Make sure you keep up with the times and adapt as you go, or you may find your brand is becoming extinct.
2. “You are what you share.” — Charles Leadbeater
People can see what you share publicly; are you proud?
3. “The question isn’t, ‘What do we want to know about people?’ It’s, ‘What do people want to tell about themselves?’” — Mark Zuckerberg
Are you happy to share your innermost secrets or just top-line stuff?
4. “Just be nice, take genuine interest in the people you meet, and keep in touch with people you like. This will create a group of people who are
invested in helping you because they know you and appreciate you.” — Guy Kawasaki
Self explanatory: Be genuine.
5. “Social media demands a lot of us on top of our already demanding lives. So let’s disconnect as we need to and renew our interest and
ourselves.” — Simon Mainwaring
Don’t be afraid to unplug and regenerate.
6. “Facebook Fan Pages are email newsletters with smaller pictures.” — Jay Baer
Think of your Facebook page as a rolling newsletter.
7. “Every company is its own TV station, magazine, and newspaper.” — Jay Baer
We all have the option to publish; are you doing so?
8. “‘Build it, and they will come’ only works in the movies. Social media is a ‘build it, nurture it, engage them, and they may come and stay.’” — Seth
Give them a reason to hang around.
9. “How can you squander even one more day not taking advantage of the greatest shifts of our generation? How dare you settle for less when the world
has made it so easy for you to be remarkable?” — Seth Godin
You have the platforms; now use them like no one else.
10.”You are your Rolodex: Breadth counts. Collect freaks.” — Tom Peters
You never know who is connected to who that you meet that could be beneficial to you.
11. “If you make customers unhappy in the physical world, they might each tell six friends. If you make customers unhappy on the Internet, they can
each tell 6,000 friends.”-Jeff Bezos
The internet gives it scale, so be aware of your brand’s actions and decisions at all levels.
12. “It’s not the small that get eaten; it’s the slow that get beaten.” — Linda Coles (me)
Get on and start now; your competitors may be already ahead.
So which relationship building or social media quotations have you heard that resonated with you and should be added to this list?
Linda Coles, author of
“Learn marketing with social media in 7 days”
(Wiley), is a speaker and trainer on building relationships. She lives in New Zealand. You can get a
of a chapter of her book by registering for her newsletter. A version of this article first appeared on
(Image via, via & via)
via RSSSocialMedia http://bit.ly/14Foakt